This blog is about anything technically opensource or copyleft-ed/ GPL-ed, obviously most of it Linux or connected to Linux in some way.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Using Linux for Windows fix!

I downloaded the trial version of BitDefender antivirus for my XP today and in its scanning during the installation itself, it found some 3 issues with Windows files and quarantined them. It asked for a reboot to continue installation. On reboot, it resumed or started the scan afresh without even really giving me my desktop; it was a blank screen with BitDefender scanning in the foreground. Meanwhile, a pop-up box told me that SYSTEM is going for a shutdown as the explorer.exe or some other service crashed. Well, okay, hardly a choice! However, on restart this time, I got a command line message on NTOSKRNL.EXE missing. Obviously, BitDefender knocked it off for a virus or something and am stuck with a command line. Worse yet, I can't restore it because I don't have a DVD/CD ROM drive. (It *burnt* a couple of months back).

So much for background. Next, I rebooted in Ubuntu Maverick and searched my system for an XP install ISO dumped. Maverick is awesome, because it opened .iso as is. Within that I386 folder, there was this NTOSKRNL.EX_ that needed to be expanded. I sent it straight down to my pen drive, ran an expand on it from Vista on my laptop and got it back here. All I needed now is to get the expanded NTOSKRNL.EXE (renamed from expanded NTOSKRNL.EX_) into C:\Windows\System32\. Phew.

Windows is mighty sick but my bank webpages and software unfortunately works only with Windows. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers