This blog is about anything technically opensource or copyleft-ed/ GPL-ed, obviously most of it Linux or connected to Linux in some way.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Goodbye Windoze!

(Shifted from anythingwise blogged yesterday)

I'm up and running on Ubuntu 8.04 for my 64 bit system and looks like I've already fallen in love with it. :)

Of course, my installation may have been non-standard first time in all these years because after cleaning up one drive and before beginning an Ubuntu installation, I did the following:
--Searched Ubuntu 64 bit binaries on the system. I found the ones I'd downloaded. Unzipped them. Was thinking of burning a CD and starting Ubuntu installation, but...
--While going through them I found a Windows executable, perhaps wubi.exe. Running it just installed everything in an NTFS partition without removing anything, moreover, from within Win XP! Ubuntu really believes in simplicity, doesn't it? :)
--A reboot led to installation and I switched on the DSL just in case it needs it. Everything done.
--Then it asked me if I wanted to get a proprietary Nvidia driver for my graphics card and downloaded them without hiccups.
--The programmer within me tested cc first, which was working. So I tried c++ which it asked to confirm, downloaded and installed!!!

No wonder, Ubuntu stands for: Linux for humans. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers